[C320-list] FW: Re: Single Line Reefing

Irv Grunes igrunes at comcast.net
Thu Jun 22 19:00:43 PDT 2006

To all, Thanks for this info.
We made the C380 change only using 1 inch Stainless Steel triangle loops of
3/16 wire, instead of circular loops.

Our Material list was:

2 each Harken 40 mm Carbo Air Blocks w/shackle, Harken 2636, WM 200126 @
$21.99 each
2 each-1 inch triangle loops of 3/16 wire,Seafit Hardware C-0139-T525-W, WM
534248 @ $10.99 ea

As for installation, first look at the port side reefing line where it
enters the boom at the mast.
It usually comes up from the block at the base of the mast and should go
over a sheave at the boom to the end of the boom.  Then you have to make a
choice of either re-reaving the reefing line so it comes under the sheave to
go up to the block on the luff, OR putting another block at the bases of the
mast so it will go down, as the sheave wants it to go, and then come up to
the luff block then down again to another block you will have to add at the
base of the mast.

On our boat the line was under the sheave and so we just lead it up to the
luff block and back down to the mast base block and back to the cockpit.

The rest was just like the C380 article.

The real advantage of the 1 inch triangle loop was the way it fits so nicely
through each reef cringle to the air block shackle.

Irv Grunes
Isle of Wight #851