[C320-list] Dutchman System help...

jonvez at comcast.net jonvez at comcast.net
Fri Jun 23 05:01:35 PDT 2006

Tim,

Here's what I do (and haven't needed antacids once :)--

Once the cover is off, I tighten the filament line as if I'm going to drop the sail.

When ready to raise the sail, I ease the Topping Lift so that the whole dutchman is slack by about 3 inches (this prevents getting caught up in the backstay triangle) and I release the continuous line from the cam cleat on the aft end of the boom. This allows the raised sail to dictate how much give it needs from the dutchman.

Once the sail is fully raised, I ease the topping lift a bit more to ensure no chafe.

To Drop the sail--
When head to wind, hand pull the topping lift as tight as you can

Pull the continuous line back into the cam on end of boom and pull the line there as tight as possible.

Drop the sail....

Hope this is somewhat clear. Once I got used to the Dutchman, I have really come to appreciate, the only thing I would like better is a roller furling boom--but I don't think I'll go to the expense for this option on a 320....

Regards,

Jon

From: Tim <chillinonahd at yahoo.com>