[C320-list] FW: Re: Are 6V Batteries Superior To 12V Batteries

Karl Mielenhausen _/) kmielen at iwon.com
Mon Jun 26 04:18:01 PDT 2006

Jeff,

Having just been through the conversion, I agree with much of what you have written, especially the Pro's and Con's.

The golf car batteries currently in the area Sam's Clubs are an Energizer EGC2 made by Johnson Controls, Inc. JCI specs them out at 220 ah (6v) at the 20 hours rate, so in theory, I have 440 ah (+/- depending on discharge rate).

I was unable to find a flooded lead acid 4D at that capacity, since a they all seem to be the combo batteries for starting and must design for a reasonable marine cranking amps (MCA) rating. For example, the Exide Stowaway Marine 4D is 160 ah and the SeaVolt 4D at WM is 120 ah. Since I have an independent starting battery, I felt I did not need to compromise the house bank by using a combo battery. I also have the 2 banks of 6v golf car batteries in parallel, so I am halving the discharge rate for (hopefully) extra life, unlike before when I worried about saving one of the 4D's to be able to start the engine!!!

The way to get more ah from the 4D footprint seems to be to change the technology... WM SeaGel 4D gel at  183ah or WM AGM 4D at 200ah. But these would wind up costing me 3-4x what the golf car batteries cost me.

Even the Exide Commercial 4D (COM-4D-P) is still a combo battery, however the reserve minutes are 320 instead of the 250 spec'd for the Exide Stowaway Marine 4D, so I suspect it is around 200-210 ah. For someone that wants to maximize the power available from 2 4D wet cell batteries, that would be the way to go, as Chris Burti has discovered.

Just some rainy day thoughts....

Regards....

Karl Mielenhausen

2000 C320 Hull#690 "Silver Lining"