[C320-list] Figuring out the dutchman....part 2

T. Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Mon Jun 26 19:42:12 PDT 2006

The most important thing, bar none, is to make sure that any lines
inside the boom can run free.  When I first bought my boat the reef
lines would barely budge.  It was due to dirt and birds nests inside the
boom.  You can't imagine the mess when I started fishing it out with a
coat hanger taped to the end of a batten.  Since then the inside of my
boom gets flushed every year, including the shuttle block inside, and
then it gets a fresh piece of duct tape across the opening at the end to
keep the birds out.  I've had no problems since, and have felt no need
to put blocks on my sails.  I recommend the "alternative" setup
described on the c320 website, except that I take the forward line
through the luff cringle and back down to the gooseneck.   The
alternative setup is here:
http://www.catalina320.com/gallery/Alternative-Route/IMG_0226.  This
method is superior to the one in my owners manual from Catalina, which
makes no sense at all, because the shuttle block inside the boom doesn't
do anything useful in that setup.

Washing the line might help too.

There should be no twists in lines between blocks, if you mean that
lines are twisted around each other or something else.  A certain amount
of twisting of the line itself is normal, but this shouldn't cause any
troubles.  If it's twisting badly then either the line is shot or
something is rigged incorrectly.

Scott