[C320-list] Figuring out the dutchman....part 2

Irv Grunes igrunes at comcast.net
Mon Jun 26 19:40:30 PDT 2006

Doug

Here is how ours works using the one inch triangle loops and the Harken 40mm
air blocks with shackles on both the luff and leech reefing cringles

Starting at the stopper in the cockpit

Goes forward to block at base of the mast

Goes up to the block at the luff

Comes down to the sheave on the boom and runs UNDER it,

To the end of the boom, UNDER that sheave at the end of the boom

Up to the block at the leech cringle.

Back down and we tied it off on the bottom of the boom at a loop that was
there.
We tried to use the cringle at the foot of the sail to the boom,, but got a
little better shape
tied back towards the end of the boom.

Every turn runs rhru a sheave.  If the sheaves are loose and running on the
boom and blocks there should be little resistance.

If the line at the mast end of the boom runs OVER the sheave there:

Then it will either be necessary to EITHER rereave that line UNDER the
sheave

OR

Put another block at the base of the mast so that the line would now run to
the first block at the base of the mast, up to the luff cringle block, back
down to the new block at the mast base, then it can run OVER the boom end
sheave to then end of the boom.

Hope this makes sense.

Irv Grunes
Isle of Wight #851