[C320-list] [c320] Batteries

Chris Burti cburti at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 27 10:41:09 PDT 2006

Bill,
I'd suggest a closer look at the construction of your
box, or more accurately, 'tray'. It is a FRP laminate,
not wood, on my 2001 #867.

You are correct, it is not deep like many of the
plastic cases seen in stores. However, as I understand
them they meet CG requirements and ABYC standards.

As I recall the requirements, you must have a drip
tray/box to catch boil over and keep acid out of the
bilges and a secure tie down to keep the battery under
control in rough seas or a rollover.

The store bought versions usually incorporate a lid
and strap to fill both requirements in one product.

I don't think there is any expectation/requirement for
the Box/tray to have any acid containment function in
a rollover.

found this somewhere, not sure of its applicability to
recreational vessels.

CFR 46 part 111.15-5(d) "Battery trays. Each battery
tray must be chocked with wood strips or their
equivalent to prevent movement, and each tray must
have non-absorbent insulating supports on the bottom
and similar spacer blocks at the sides, or equivalent
provisions for air circulation space all around each
tray. Each battery tray must provide adequate
accessibility for installation, maintenance, and
removal of the batteries."

Of course, I haven't read the requirments in years and
my recollection is not to be trusted when it
matters...so...take this with a huge grain of salt!

cb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>   >
>   >                 SailNet's NEW Website is up and
> running!
>   >                 New Forums, New Photo Gallery,
> New Reviews, New
>   >                 Classifieds, Blogs and more!
>   >                 www.sailnet.com - Visit today!
>   >

>   >
> http://www.sailnet.com/listhelp/index.cfm and follow