[C320-list] Plasticky Smell From Head Area

Bill Culbertson billculb_a2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 29 04:03:11 PDT 2006

Interesting...  If you lift the starboard side salon cushions and remove the access cover to expose the holding tank itself, can you smell it there?  Maybe the Ronco holding tank isn't fully cured and is off-gassing (sp?)?  If so, the odor would go to the head through the hole in the wall which takes the waste hose from the Jabsco head to the holding tank.  Might also check if it is more noticeable from inside the hanging locker in the aft berth than from other places.  That locker has an open path to the area under the starboard salon settee.

   -bill culbertson

Robert Seastream <seastream at adelphia.net> wrote:
  We have the same problem! It's definitely a plastic smell, not
burning. We just got (November) a 2002 C320, hull 906. We thought it
was a 'new boat/car smell'. It's strongest in the head and smells
similar to the waste tank plastic. Airing the boat removes the odor
from all but the head. We'd like a cure other than one of those
'christmas trees'.

Bob