[C320-list] Unfurling Genoa

BAdams3491 at aol.com BAdams3491 at aol.com
Sun Mar 12 11:49:37 PST 2006

I keep my boat on the edge of tornado alley.  Last week we had a big  storm
blow through, and I got a call the next day from the marina saying, my  "front
sail had come loose."  Drove to the lake to find both genoa sheets  still
attached to the clew, tightly wrapped around the genoa and the forestay,  secured
to the winches, the furler control line still tight and secure, but the  top
part of the genoa had come loose about two thirds of the way up the  forestay.
Apparently the wind had somehow gotten an edge loose and it blew  hard enough
to loosen a five foot section.  Other than the obvious of  insuring the genoa
is furled tightly or buying a cover, any suggestions as to  how to avoid this
in the future?

Bert
At Ease