[C320-list] Packing Gland

hcreech at comcast.net hcreech at comcast.net
Fri Mar 24 13:17:00 PST 2006

I went to my boat today, still on land, with a few projects to do.  Among them were to open the packing gland and start to replace the packing with the new dripless stuff.  I have to adjust the gland every year but this is the first time I've replaced it and my first time with the dripless stuff. I mentioned that I adjust it every year to point out that I have the right equipment and know how to open it.  Problem was that after about 1/2 hour I gave up, no method of trying to open it worked.  I tried penetrating oil and hitting the wrench with a hammer but it wouldn't budge.  Could it be because there is no water present?  Anyway I have to get it opened and replace the packing before next month and obviously before it hits the water again.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Herb Creech
Cloud Chaser #606