[C320-list] Backstay Rigging

Stephen Cox scox at timmin.com
Wed Mar 1 17:11:35 PST 2006

Matt,

Given the weight of the mount and the radar scanner, what effect does this
have on the mast tune? Aren't you effectively tightening the backstay?

Stephen Cox
Canberra AUSTRALIA

I am using at product called Radar On The Level. It keeps the Radar Dome
level and is relatively inexpensive ($500). I have not installed it yet, but
the installation is straight forward. They send you two plates that replace
the split backstay plates and the unit hangs off the one of the plates.
(Approximately 25 lbs including the Raymarine 18" dome) I plan to run the
main halyard and the spinnaker halyard back to the two mooring cleats on the
stern and relieve the pressure on the backstay and just pull the top pin on
the plates. Once the install is complete I'll raise the mount back up and
put the top pin in and be done. I feel this is much easier that mounting a
pole on my stern and then purchasing a gimbaled radar mount for $1K. It
should be a clean installation that will place the dome higher than on a
pole and not add a "second mast" to the boat. Below is the link to the site.
I know might sound like I am a salesman for the company but I am not.
http://www.radaronthelevel.com/

Matt