[C320-list] Ensign Staff Size - Manual Bilge Pump

Quentin Murphy qmurphy at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 26 08:22:02 PST 2006

The most importance maintenance with the manual hand bilge pump is to use it
every so often instead of the electric pump, otherwise the rubber innards of
this "emergency" pump will dry up and become brittle and may not work when
needed.  Rubber must either be flexed every so often or kept wet, otherwise
it breaks down.  The same happens to a pair of socks that sit in the drawer
for a long period of time, the elastic support band falls apart.

On the ensign teak staff:  Some have 7/8", some 1" and Catalina says 1¼".
I'm settling for 1" and while many may disapprove, I applying eight coats of
varnish (Flagship) to it as well as the companionway hatch batten boards.
I'm not a fan of the weathered grey teak look.

Quentin
Celtic Knot #667