[C320-list] Fortress anchor

Dave Sparks dlsparks at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 17:42:49 PST 2006

A testimony for the Delta follows (apologies to those who read this shortly
after Hurricane Ivan).
    Hurricane Ivan made landfall just to the east of Pensacola as a Category
3 hurricane with sustained winds of 130 mph ( Ivan had been a Category 5
earlier but weakened as it neared shore). I took my boat out of her slip at
a marina just off Pensacola Bay because I thought it was too exposed. I took
her up the most protected bayou available and set two anchors in about 8 ft.
of water near high tide. I set a Delta FS 35 lb. anchor with 63 ft. of 5/16
PC-chain and 150 ft. of 5/8" line as my primary storm anchor. I was unable
to use all 150 ft of rode because of other boats. I probably had 120 ft.
out.  I used my largest Danforth with about 20-30 feet of chain as a second
anchor. I set them at about a 30 deg angle, not the recommended 45 deg
angle, because in the past I've always caught one of the lines on my wing
keel when the wind shifts as the storm passes, if I use the 45 deg angle. I
secured the anchor lines directly to the bow cleats without using the bow
roller (the cleats are not offset on the Catalilna). I used commercially
available chafing gear that fits over the lines and tied a boat cushion
between the cleat and the bow roller to protect the line when the boats did
some extreme swings. I  also tied the lines to the base of the mast in case
the bow cleats gave way (they did not). All canvas was removed. I left the
main furled inside the mast, but used heavy line to secure the clew to the
mast. Also, in addition to locking the main "unfurling" line, I tied it off
to the winch. I did not have time to remove the mast or boom, but I tied the
boom to both stern cleats, to minimize motion.
    My boat was still where I anchored it after Ivan passed. Only 3 of the
30-40 boats anchored in the bayou were still there after the storm. Neither
line was caught on the wing keel. When I was able to get aboard, the bilge
was dry and the batteries were almost fully charged. The interior was dry,
although the things I did not have time to remove were tossed around,
including a heavy tool box. I think I took some water in the port locker,
but not much. Things were damp in there. There was some chafe of the lines,
near the cleat, but it was not severe. I had to remove a lot of
seaweed/debris from around the cleat and anchor line to check the chafe.
       The Navy airstation, about 2-3 miles west of where I anchored
recorded 120 mph ground level winds that destroyed their wind instrument
near landfall. The airport, several miles east of where I anchored recorded
110 mph ground level winds that destroyed their wind instruments two hours
before landfall. I'm not sure about storm surge, but some of the floating
docks near where I was anchored floated off the tall pilings. I estimate
that would only happen with a 12-15 ft surge.
    My boat survived with no damage, but my marina was destroyed, as were
most of the other marinas in the area.
            David Sparks
            En Passant, C320 # 933
p.s. I now use the Delta as my primary anchor, with a shorter chain and 1/2"
nylon line and have been very pleased with it.