[C320-list] Exhaust Riser Elbow & inward flange - Key West

A. R. Gates argates2nd at earthlink.net
Mon May 1 09:32:40 PDT 2006

On the way to Key West 9 days ago, our flange/pipe leading into the muffler from the hose at the rear of the engine developed leaking cracks around most of the circumfrance where the flange joins the muffler box.  The bilge pump more than handled the leaking water so we made it fine.  I supose the cracks are from age/vibration.
Before returning, I patched all around the flange with Marine Tex epoxy which held well during the return voyage to Naples in 6-7' seas, sustained 25 kph winds with gusts to 35!  The last nighttime 9 hours of that 21 hour leg were in that sort of weather but the boat did well with one reef in the main (if I'd known all that was coming I'd have put in 2 reefs before dark).
Do those cracks mean it is time to order the replacement muffler from Catalina?

Although our boat is a 1995 model it only has 320 hours on the engine, having spent its first 7 years in light use on fresh-water Lake Winnepausaki in NH.     I had the pleasure of meeting Joe Barrett in Naples where we ended up in a slip across from his -- he and his fit crew were winners in races that started a few hours after we arrived in the weather discribed above!   Rollie  #182