[C320-list] FW: Starting Battery Installation

Karl Mielenhausen _/) kmielen at iwon.com
Fri May 19 18:47:11 PDT 2006

Quentin,

I decided to use a WalMart Maxx 1N auto battery as my starting battery. It has plenty of cranking power and I preferred the side terminal connections. This battery was highly rated by Consumer Reports.

I mounted it forward of the 4D's on a shelf I glassed onto the hull (same thing Jeff Hare and others have done). Since one of my 4D's died anyway, I wired the Max onto position 2 on the battery selector and have my remaining 4D going to position 1. No new hardware required.

Usually, I'll leave the switch on position 1 and let the house battery try to start the engine. If my 4D is run down, I use the starting battery and let the alternator charge it for 5-10 min before I switch over to charge the house bank (the 4D).

When I'm on shore power, the Xantrex charger is charging both.

I plan to replace the remaining 4D with 4 golf cart batteries (two units of 6V GC2's in series and then those 2 pairs in parallel, all connected to position 1. That will give me about 420 amp-hr of true deep cycle capacity. When that happens, I'll probably use the starting battery every time I start the engine.

I've got pics on the C320IA website.

Karl Mielenhausen

2000 C320 Hull#690 "Silver Lining"

New Bern, NC