[C320-list] Engine / shaft alignment

Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Sat May 20 18:36:09 PDT 2006

Surprise now has a Gori 2 blade folding prop to replace the 3 blade
fixed.  So far I'm satisfied, except that there is definitely quite a
bit more vibration under power than before.  Today I tried to tackle
this by doing a shaft alignment.  This is a job I've ignored since
owning the boat and have been rather nervous about that situation.  When
I unbolted the flanges I found that the engine flange did not line up
well with the shaft, and was a bit higher.  I was able to get the
alignment much better in the fore-aft plane using the adjustment advice
in my owners manual, but was left with somewhat excessive side to side
misalignment.  To be precise, the two flanges have good axial alignment
and are even top to bottom, but there is a bit of a gap (about .014
inches by my feeler gauge on the starboard side.  I can't figure out how
to tune this out.  It would seem to require moving the front of the
engine slightly to starboard, but I don't see any way to adjust the
engine mounts laterally.  How is this supposed to be done?  I have the
Yanmar 3GM30F, 1999 model.

Scott Thompson
Surprise, 653