[C320-list] Hitachi Alternator Output Curve

Karl Mielenhausen _/) kmielen at iwon.com
Sun May 21 13:37:03 PDT 2006

My Japan Yanmar has the Hitachi 55 amp alternator (LR155-20).

Has anyone out there with this alternator and a battery monitor actually determined the output curve for this alternator?

For example: 40 amps for 20 min, then 30 amps for 20 min, then 20 amps for 20 min????

I'd like to determine how many amps I can put back into the batteries when on an extended cruise away from shorepower. Would I be better off by motoring 60 mins straight each day or two blocks of 30 minutes?

Also, has anyone fitted this alternator with an external 3-stage regulator? If so, what sort of improvement have they seen?

I estimate daily consumption when cruising at about 110 AH.

Thanks for any info...

Karl Mielenhausen

2000 C320 Hull#690 "Silver Lining"

New Bern, NC