[C320-list] Furling Line

Chris Burti cburti at yahoo.com
Mon May 8 09:11:42 PDT 2006

No, that is two different subjects.

The StaSet was a freebie. At 5/16" there is no need to
strip core or sheath, but it is also a bit small for
good handling in a stiff breeze.

Some High tech spinaker lines, depending on the
handling characteristics, are made up by stripping
sheath, some srip the core and some are splices of
larger, easy handling lines to smaller diameter, low
stretch lines.

These are good aplications for furlers for the same
reasons except small diameter is the goal for furlers
versus low weight for spinaker sheets.

There used to be a good discussion of this technique
for sheets on the  Layline website. Someone smarter
than me pointed out that it was an equally good
solution for furler lines.