[C320-list] Broach

Russell Monaco russgm at yahoo.com
Mon May 8 10:58:07 PDT 2006

Peter-
  When you say double head rig, do you mean a Genny to Port and one to Starboard as well?  (is that why we have two tracks on our furlers??) never thought about that.
-russ monaco

Peter Clancy <SAILORPETE at msn.com> wrote:
  We have a fair amount of experience racing with Doyle APC asymmetrical sails on both our C320 and a prior boat, a Kelt 9 Meter racer/cruiser. Some general observations ....... we primarily set the APC in lighter wind conditions, i.e., 0 to 12 knots on beam reaching angles and up to approx 18 knots on downwind legs. I believe our 150 is more effective reaching in winds approx 12-18 knots whereas the APC becomes overpowered and too hard to handle. The other observation is that tacking or jibing the APC requires crew practice and the level of difficulty increases with windspeed. Would like to hear of other owner's experiences with asymmetrical sails cruising or racing. I should note that we've also done well with a double-head rig on downwind legs.

Peter Clancy
AROBAN C320 #222
Miami, FL