[C320-list] Broach

Peter Clancy SAILORPETE at msn.com
Mon May 8 13:20:31 PDT 2006

'Wing and wing' is the term used for flying a mainsail out on one side of the boat and flying a headsail out on the other side. This is only effective on downwind legs but easy to accomplish.

'Double head rig' puts up greater sail area up for downwind legs. It involves flying two headsails at the same time both run up through the head foil grooves. The mainsail is flown on whichever side of the boat it keeps full and minimizes blanketing the headsails. It may be a little trickier to maneuver the boat and keep both headsails full but it's usually pretty effective. We use a combination of the 150 and the 135. As long as we're able to sail close to dead downwind and have a good breeze from behind, the double head rig almost always moves us past poled-out asymmetricals and even some boats with symmetrical spinnakers. For rating purposes, I've found there's either no penalty using a double head rig or less penalty than declaring a spinnaker.

Peter Clancy
AROBAN  C320  #222
Miami, FL