[C320-list] Fore Stay Furling Gear

David Gleason djgleason1 at juno.com
Thu May 11 17:12:07 PDT 2006

As an additional measure to help prevent the wind from getting under the
leach of the sail, I have used the spinnaker halyard and wrapped it
numerous times in the opposite direction, I believe clockwise, to the
leach.  This helps keep the upper sections of the leach closed.
Difficulty is that you need to let off enough line at the mast to make
the wraps and then tie off the halyard at the base of the sail.  It
impossible to haul in any halyard once it is wrapped around the furled
sail.

Dave Gleason
Proud Mary, #150

On Thu, 11 May 2006 15:20:56 -0400 "Peter Clancy" <SAILORPETE at msn.com>
writes:
> I've also been in high winds that partially unfurled the headsail. In
> a couple instances, causing wraps that couldn't be undone in heavy
> weather conditions. Our practice has since been to furl the sail as
> tightly as possible around the head foil by 1) having someone put
> resistance on the sheet while furling in the sail, 2) keeping the
> taut sheet at such an angle that the sail furls uniformly from top
> to bottom on the foil, and 3) allowing the sheets to wrap themselves
> tightly around the sail a few times. At least this makes it more
> difficult for wind to find its way inside an overlap. I've also
> placed a couple of sail ties as high as I could reach when
> possible.
>
> Peter Clancy
> AROBAN  C320  #222
> Miami, FL