[C320-list] Fore Stay Furling Gear

Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Sat May 13 10:42:40 PDT 2006

Maybe it's because they don't design these systems for particular boats,
and the "correct" amount of line varies widely depending on the size of
the jib and type of furling line used.

For what it's worth, I replaced the furling line on Surprise with brand
new Staset in the largest size that fits through the hole in the drum
(forget what that is) three years ago and have never had any of these
jamming problems.  I don't strip the line at all, and I have plenty of
furling line left for a few extra turns of the jib sheets.  It did take
some trial and error to figure out the ideal number of turns to put on
the drum.  I still use the factory installed traditional cleat, which
seems to work just fine for me.  I've never quite understood why people
feel a need to replace this.  It's occurred to me that some of the
replacements systems I've seen introduce additional turning blocks at
the cockpit end.  Could these be causing trouble for some people by
leading to twists in the line?