[C320-list] mast

John Van Vessem jvanvessem at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 27 06:22:03 PDT 2006

Steve,

  I never understood how you can move or bend the top of the mast since the head stay and back stay counter each other.  To bend  the mast you would have to stretch the head stay.  Although there is a certain amount of stretch in steel cable, I think what you are really doing is pushing the mast down.

  John (Sojourn 645)

Steve Magennis <magenns at yahoo.com> wrote:
  While that's true (the tapered top IS slightly lighter than an
untapered top), the taper also allows us to SLIGHTLY bend (not rake)
the top of the mast with a backstay adjuster (if the forward lowers are
tight) and SLIGHTLY depower the main (the bend sucks a little cloth out
of the belly of the main).

I don't think either reason is significant.

Steve
Alchemist #909