[C320-list] mast

Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Sun May 28 09:37:56 PDT 2006

One other thing (this time responding to Steve):  Consider that each
pound at the top of the mast influences the boat via a very long lever
arm -- much longer than anything in the keel or on deck.  So even small
weight savings up high count a lot in terms of the righting moment
(stiffness), pitching moment and performance of the boat.  That's why
lightening the top of the mast is worth the effort, even though the
number of pounds removed is small.  It's also why top racers spend good
money on very skinny but lightweight halyards -- to reduce weight aloft.
  Of course 10 pounds at the top of the mast is no match for another 200
pounds of railmeat in terms of righting moment, so this must be kept in
perspective. But every bit helps.