[C320-list] mast

Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Sun May 28 09:22:12 PDT 2006

First, steel wire does stretch.  Read any good book on rigging design
and it will provide you with specs for how much.  But it doesn't stretch
much, and when you tension the backstay the main effect on the forestay
is to remove sag, which can dramatically affect the shape of the genoa
by flattening it and moving the draft forward.  You can see this by
sighting up the forestay while close hauled.  The forestay sags quite a
bit, but the amount is adjustable with backstay tension.

Yes this also increases compression on the mast, which is already
significant when sailing upwind because of tension on the windward
shrouds.  That's why 320s have that compression post in the middle of
the main cabin.

I'm fairly confident that the effect on genoa shape from adding backstay
tension is much more important than any effects on mainsail shape on a
320.  You can bend a 320 mast, as others have pointed out, but not
nearly to the extent that you can with a true fractional rig and a keel
stepped mast.