[C320-list] Racing Questions

Peter Clancy SAILORPETE at msn.com
Tue Nov 14 08:21:05 PST 2006

I too agree that 189 is a generous rating for a wing keel C320. But, you may find that your competitors also enjoy  relatively higher ratings for their boats. In SW Florida you'll often race in light winds, hence a lightweight 150 should serve you well. During the winter season, you could have much heavier winds in which case you'd likely reef the 150 or go with the 135. In these conditions, I doubt it would be advantageous to raise the height of the headsail as it could induce more heel. In light air, our secret weapon has been to keep the boat light, i.e., minimum fuel and water; fewer crew; unload excess excess gear and 'stuff' ; and, position a crewmember at the bow on downwind legs. This appears to give us a little extra speed, say, .2 to .4 knots (thanks for the tip Orlando).

Peter Clancy
AROBAN  C320  #222
Miami, FL