[C320-list] Racing Questions

Joe Barrett joe at dolphinmortgage.com
Tue Nov 14 08:34:07 PST 2006

Hi Rollie, we met earlier this year when you were visiting the Naples City
Dock. I was on the Board of Directors of West Florida PHRF for two years and
currently sit on the Rating Committee. I viewed your certificate and you are
rated as a Spinnaker boat. With that designation you get no credit for
cruising equipment. You would only get credit for the cruising stuff if you
entered the True Cruising division.

The 189 rating you mentioned is only for Non-Spinnaker class on a RLC
(Random Leg Course). Your base rating on a Buoy course is 180. My rating on
a Buoy course is 177 base but I have a 3 blade feathering prop and that gets
a 3 second hit.

I see you declared a two blade fixed prop, if you are going to race more you
should consider a feathering or folding prop. If you do the math getting an
extra 1/2 knot of speed on a ten mile course and only get hit 3 seconds it's
a no brainer.

I race in the True Cruising class in SW Florida and with the adjustments for
cruising stuff my final rating on Buoy is 201 and 195 for RLC and 189 for
OWC (Open Water Course).

It sounds like you are entering Non-Spinnaker class while you carry a
Spinnaker rating. That doesn't really have an effect as your non spinnaker
offset is included on your rating certificate so the Race Committee uses
that rating.
If you want to race True Cruising you would get credit for the cruising
stuff but you would have to fill out the True Cruising questionnaire and
submit to West Florida PHRF to get a True Cruising rating.
Hope that helps, I'll be up to Charlotte Harbor in March for the
Conquistador Cup.
Hope to see you out on the race course.
Joe Barrett