[C320-list] Racing Questions

Tue Nov 14 08:28:56 PST 2006

Anything to help you continue your winning ways! :)
------Original Message------
From: Peter Clancy
To: Catalina 320 List
To: <argates2nd at earthlink.net>
ReplyTo: Catalina 320 List
Sent: Nov 14, 2006 8:21 AM
Subject: Re: [C320-list] Racing Questions

[Sent by: c320-list-bounces at catalina320.com ]
I too agree that 189 is a generous rating for a wing keel C320. But, you
may find that your competitors also enjoy  relatively higher ratings for
their boats. In SW Florida you'll often race in light winds, hence a
lightweight 150 should serve you well. During the winter season, you could
have much heavier winds in which case you'd likely reef the 150 or go with
the 135. In these conditions, I doubt it would be advantageous to raise
the height of the headsail as it could induce more heel. In light air, our
secret weapon has been to keep the boat light, i.e., minimum fuel and
water; fewer crew; unload excess excess gear and 'stuff' ; and, position a
crewmember at the bow on downwind legs. This appears to give us a little
extra speed, say, .2 to .4 knots (thanks for the tip Orlando).

Peter Clancy
AROBAN  C320  #222
Miami, FL