[C320-list] starting effort

Fred Grimann fgrimann at vcc.ca
Thu Nov 30 15:19:32 PST 2006

I have the 1994 Catalina 320 with a Perkins engine. In the winter I only have the glow plugs on for ten seconds and the engine starts immediately or within two seconds. In the summer I have the glow plugs on for five to seven seconds with same starting results.
All glow plugs must work. Once I had a longer cranking cycle and discovered one glow plug connection to be at fault.
Since the glow plugs draw a lot of current their efficiency is naturally determined by the electrical energy they receive. If you have a voltage drop to the glow plugs then you should correct the problem source.
The engine harness connector at the back of the engine is not ideal considering the environment in that area. Modify by installing a sealed electrical junction box to join the two wiring harnesses together.
(Recommended by marine electrical surveyors)

F. Grimann
C320  #69