[C320-list] Should I buy a C320?

Denny Browne dennybrowne at verizon.net
Thu Nov 30 19:28:28 PST 2006

Lots of people on this list are very happy with their 320s, especially me. I
single hand it a fair amount and last weekend installed Harken 150 can
cleats at the aft edge of the cabin top for the mainsheet to make it easier
to trim from either side and from the helm. Haven't tried it hard on the
wind yet, but I'm cautiously optimistic that with a good hard pull, I'll
actually be able to get it most of the way in. I can sit beside the wheel
and work the traveler just fine, as long as the leeward side isn't cleated.
When heel approaches 15 degrees, it's pretty easy to ease the traveler down,
then back when she stands up.

I like the roomy cockpit and the large aft cabin, as well as the way the
boat sails. No experience with the Tanzer. I think the Catalina 309 has a
bigger main saloon at the expense of v-berth space, but I find our main
saloon to be just fine. The pair of secondary winches would be handy, but I
can reach the primaries with a little effort from seated beside the wheel. I
did install a bit larger wheel and put the driver's "seat" in my garage to
allow a little more room behind it. I'd much rather stand if I'm right
behind the wheel anyway.

By the way, this is my second Catalina 320, so I guess I'd recommend it
pretty highly. Good luck with whatever decision you make, and we hope to
welcome you into our little community.

Denny Browne
A Cappella #935
Redondo Beach, CA