[C320-list] Should I buy a C320?

Nigel Price nigel.price at bigpond.com
Thu Nov 30 22:04:47 PST 2006

  Hi Amirault family,

  I have a 2005 model C320 which I bought new in Australia. It has an
in-mast furling system which I think is marvelous for cruising. Previously,
I had a Benetau Oceanis 411, also with an in-mast system and came to love
it. The C320 came with a fixed boom vang which I do not like at all, but I
acknowledge that it's easier to furl and one less thing to think about, all
the same, I'm in the process of replacing it with a Garhauer adjustable
system.
  Of all the boats I've owned and there have been a few, I like the C320 the
best for couples cruising, especially in Sydney climate where we sail year
round and spend more time in the cockpit than below decks. Apart from some
locally made boats, the C320 has a much larger and more comfortable cockpit
than others of similar size and below decks is the best layout I have seen.

  The down side of the boat is the build quality, rather like an Ikea
kitchen, but without the quality control and the after sales service in
Australia is appaling. I am convinced that Catalina's Quality Assurance
department is it's customer base and getting things fixed on warranty is
like pulling teelth. In Australia, it is said that Catalina's hold their
value better than any other brand, because potential buyers are so loathed
to buy new, from the local agent and pay a premium for used boats.

  Would I buy another Catalina?, doubt it. The shoddy quality really gets to
me.

  Cheers,
  NIgel