[C320-list] Dinghy on Garhauer Davits

Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Sun Oct 15 05:40:45 PDT 2006

What's a practical limit on length/width/weight of a dinghy to carry on
the Garhauer davits?  I'm thinking of getting a Zodiac Cadet with high
pressure inflatable keel/floor.  The question is how big, and what size
motor.  The 11 foot model has substantially greater payload than the 10
footer, but I'm a bit concerned about either towing or hauling a dinghy
that big on davits.  The dealer is recommending a 6 hp engine either
way, and points out that you go from 4 people to 5+1 with the extra foot
of length, at minimal $$$ and weight.  With our new dog I need to find a
faster / easier way to get ashore than our current method (rowing).  We
often sail with four or five on board, plus dog now.