[C320-list] Main halyard kinks!

Jeff Church jjemail at comcast.net
Tue Oct 3 19:16:52 PDT 2006

Charlie,

According to their manufacturer's ratings, StaSetX (SSX) will stretch about
twice as much as your original halyard, which was probably Yale ULS.
Catalina used ULS for many years until it was discontinued a couple of years
ago. SSX is also very stiff and difficult to splice. It is relatively
inexpensive at about $85 dollars for 120 feet.

A few years ago I replaced my main halyard with Yale Vizzion. It has a
Vectran/Polypro core. Great rope, it is rated to stretch about 40% of the
amount that SSX stretches, and it costs about $130 dollars for 120 feet.
Unfortunately, it is not widely available anymore, but you could try CLR,
Hamilton or APS.

Samson XLS Extra might be a good choice. It is a Dyneema/Polypro blend. It
has about 30% of SSX's stretch and costs about $150. I'm not sure if
Dyneema/Polypro has any negative characteristics.

I recently called Layline to get their recommendation for a new jib halyard.
They recommend rope that has a Vectran core, either New England's V100 or
Yale's Crystalyne. Both will stretch about 20% of the amount that SSX
stretches. They cost a bit more at $225.

You might want to call Layline and see what they have to say about these
choices. They don't sell XLS Extra.

Good luck.

JeffC