[C320-list] Fittings

Jeffrey Hare catalina at thehares.com
Tue Oct 10 08:44:27 PDT 2006

Hi Kurt,

   On your boat, it's pretty easy to tell.  Deck hardware that goes through
aluminium plates are on slightly raised smooth patches of the deck.
Hardware that goes through solid fiberglass may be on areas of the non-skid
and have thru-bolts and nuts on the inside of the boat.

No factory hardware that I'm aware of goes through the deck in a region
where there is balsa core.   This was stated (my recollection) at the
factory tour Gerry gave us in 2004 during the Marina Del Ray annual
meeting/regatta.

(My recollection)
At the factory tour, Gerry showed us the balsa core used is a grid type core
that (like 1" squares or something) with a gap between each square.  Between
the squares is filled with resin to resist rot creeping around in the core
should some damage occur and moisture get in.  Rot would be contained to
only a few cells where there was damage.

-Jeff