[C320-list] New Splash guard

Jeff Church jjemail at comcast.net
Tue Oct 10 09:24:28 PDT 2006

Bryan,

I wouldn't consider the 350 because it doesn't point as well as the 36,
which doesn't point as well as the 320....

I don't sit still much when I'm sailing. I like to tweak the sails
constantly and feel the boat respond. Once I get everything trimmed I might
pause for a beer, but then I tack and start all over again. The 350 seems to
have too many performance compromises for someone who cares about that sort
of thing. Around our harbor most experienced Catalina owners consider the
350 a very nice "dockside condo", but not one of Catalina's better
performers. Beneteau's Oceanis series comes to mind. The 350 also has
several design problems like prop cavitation, a trim problem that causes the
transom to sit too low in the water and the bow too high, and poor reefer
insulation. Check out the 350 web site and track their maillist.

Before I give up my 320 I need to find a boat that easily accommodates 2
people and their supplies on 3+ week cruises around Lake Michigan, is not
too big to be single-handed around marinas with tight slip spaces, is as
comfortable as the 36 in rough seas, and has the performance characteristics
of a larger version of the 320. Is that too much to ask? :)

Unfortunately, the 350 does not perform well enough, the 36 is an old
design, and the 380/387 is too big. Catalina needs to build a small-ish 370.

Sorry you asked?

Jeff   ~~_/)~~