[C320-list] FW: Re: A-B Cold Machine: power consumption

Jeff Church jjemail at comcast.net
Wed Oct 18 16:00:35 PDT 2006

When I went cruising this summer in 95 - 99 degree temps I put 2 blocks of
ice in the bottom of the reefer and a foil waffled insulating pad under the
lid. I also put a small battery operated fan near the evaporator. While
motoring I kept the thermo set to about 6.5.  As I emptied bottles of water,
I refilled them and placed them in and around the evaporator figuring the
more cold/frozen mass and less air space the better. When I initially loaded
the reefer (to the brim) everything was already cold or frozen and it stayed
that way for the entire 12 days.

On a humorous note (sort of): At one point on the trip I heard noises that
sounded like a log or something heavy was bouncing off the hull. The noise
was loud enough that I ran around checking the bilge for leaks or damage.
The noise repeated a couple of times and I started to think that I had
somehow snagged something heavy. Eventually I realized that those blocks of
ice rolling around the bottom of the reefer sound just like something
pounding on the hull!

JeffC