[C320-list] Hot Water Heater Bypass

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Fri Oct 20 07:09:40 PDT 2006

John-I do something similar to what Kit Carson does, but I blow the tank dry
first.  I have hull #894 with Whale fittings.

First I first remove just the hot water Whale line leaving the hot water
tank.  Then with everything else closed I open the drain on the hot water
tank and connect my compressor to the hot water tank inlet and blow it dry.
The compressor connection is a little sloppy so you can't blow anything up
in the process.  On my boat the piping is set up so the cold water side of
the galley faucet remains connected to the hot water tank after you remove
the cold water inlet to the hot water tank.  After the hot water tank is
blown dry, I close the hot water drain valve and turn on the compressor and
open the cold water faucet in the galley and then blow it dry.  I just don't
open it when flushing out the system with antifreeze.  If you open it when
flushing some antifreeze may wander into the hot water tank.

Then I do what Kit does and and connect the hot water line to the cold water
line.  I use a small piece of tygon tubing to do this since the way the
Whale fittings are lined up in my configuration this is easier.  Then pump
RV antifreeze through the rest of the system for winter storage remembering
not to open the cold water side of the galley sink faucet.

I leave the cold and hot water lines connected during storage and in the
spring after launch I flush out the antifreeze, again don't open that pesky
cold water side of the galley sink.  Hook up the cold and hot water lines to
the hot water tank and then fill with fresh water.  I have been doing this
for 5 seasons and there is no antfreeze taste in the system.  The hot water
tank never sees the antifreeze and doesn't get a chance to heat it up if the
tank is full of this stuff when you fire up the engine in the spring.

Bob Sloat
Savannah 894