[C320-list] Bilge pump problem

Sat Oct 21 11:50:49 PDT 2006

For your fresh water pump get one of those VSD pumps--quiet and powerful,
no need for an accumulator, none of that hammering sound
------Original Message------
From: Robert E. Sloat
To: Catalina 320 List
ReplyTo: Catalina 320 List
Sent: Oct 21, 2006 7:31 AM
Subject: Re: [C320-list] Bilge pump problem

[Sent by: c320-list-bounces at catalina320.com ]
I agree that the loud rude bilge pump on my boat is a good warning.  You
can
hear mine even when motoring.  I don't appreciate a similar acting fresh
water pump.

On the bilge pump clogging issue, I had a minor stoppage of my bilge pump
on
hull 894 the first year it was commissioned new.  It turned out to be
debris
from construction which worked its way into the bilge when the rubber hose
from the hot water tank that connects to the Whale lines came loose when
motoring.  The steam and loud bilge pump certainly gave me a scare.

I installed a Jabsco in-line strainer (part no. 36200-0000) which has a
3/4"
barb on the inlet to the bilge pumpa few inches above inlet in the bilge
and
have not had a problem since.

I don't know why Catalina doesn't install these on the bilge.  On the
package for the stainer, Jabsco says the model is good for bilge pumps.
The
strainer is a simple screw on bowl over a screen and seems to have little
chance of allowing suction leaks.

On my boat Catalina puts this same strainer on the inlet to the
shower/refrigerator drainage pump so it won't plug. I would rather have a
flooded head when showering than a non-operating bilge pump.