[C320-list] Wall thickness

Stanley Rogacevicz SROGACEV at holycross.edu
Tue Oct 31 06:12:03 PST 2006

  If you decide to mount something individually on each wall this is how
I fastened (in probably close to 100 places) the 'butt strips' for my
teak veneering. I used SS sheet metal screws which seem to have become
the industry standard for attaching teak to fiberglass. When in fear of
going past the usually about 1/4" to 3/8" thickness of the walls I would
grind off the pointed part of the screw so only the evenly sized well
threaded shank would nicely grab the wall being driven into an only
slightly undersized hole. They ended up like machine screws with extra
sharp and aggressive threads. Only slightly undersized holes because
gelcoat or the rough finish stuff loves to chip if you try to force a
screw into it too hard - soap or a sealant (that you may want anyway)
helps. When drilling the pilot holes in the walls you mention in most
sections it was fairly easy to feel when the drill popped through the
first wall and was drilling air but I always used a 'stopper' or simply
a reversed countersink drill bit attachment to be sure.
Stan
formerly "Christy Leigh"
c320 #656
Wickford/Narragasett Bay RI

>>> Steve Magennis <magenns at yahoo.com> 10/31/2006 8:35 AM >>>
The wall is two thicknesses of fiberglass with a gap between them (As
recall, about 1.5" in total).  To mount hooks on both sides of the
wall, I bought two  boards with pre-mounted hooks, drilled through
both
thicknesses of wall, and bolted the boards together through the wall.
I just used a standard stainless bolt with a round washer, a lock
washer, and a nylock nut to secure the whole mess.  When all was said
and done, it looks fairly good.  You could use a modification where
you
just mount a plain board (suitably stained, of course) in your cabin
and a towel rack in the head.

Steve
Alchemist #909

--- June Bruce <brucestanley36 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> On our new C320, I want to mount a picture on the White wall between
> the
> dinette and the Bathroom (Head).
> I also want to put up a towel rack inside the Head on this very same
> wall.
>
> Can anyone tell me how thick the wall is and what is a suitable
> method of
> mounting a picture one side and a Towel Rack the other?
>
> All comments appreciated.
>
> Bruce Stanley / #1084 / Fantastic Lady
> Sydney Australia

> Research and compare new cars side by side at carpoint.com.au

http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801459%2Fpi%5F1004813%2Fai%5F833884&_t=54321&_r=hotmail_endtext&_m=EXT

Check out the New Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get
things done faster.