[C320-list] Mystic Fall Regatta

Lachance, Michael B (ISD, IT) MLaChance at thehartford.com
Mon Sep 25 04:40:20 PDT 2006

I'm pleased to report that after 12 regattas over two summers and in our
last race this season, "Seychelle" took her first 1st place on Saturday
at the Mystic Fall Regatta thanks to plenty of wind and a great crew.
Conditions were challenging, small craft advisories were up and a
strengthening wind gradient between the offshore high and a Midwest low
supplied SW wind in low 20s, gusting over 30kts with occasional rain
squalls. In addition, big 12 second period swells from faraway Hurricane
Helene provided ample opportunity to bury the bow. After some pre-race
experimentation, we settled on a single reefed main and partially furled
110 percent (#2) foresail. We nailed the start with clear air near hull
speed and contended all day with faster boats on a 10nm course in
Fisher's Island Sound. Great race to end season. And thanks to the other
320 racers on the list for their tips and advice.

Mike LaChance
Commodore-elect
"Seychelle", #141
Noank, CT

Ps. Reminder to 320IA officers: we have a conference call scheduled for
Wed nite 2000 EST

destroy all copies.