[C320-list] Blade falls off of Autoprop propeller!

WindSwept c320_windswept at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 11 19:22:16 PDT 2006

Bruce,

I'll respond here to a couple of things.

You took a hit on the 240 Buicks so I won't comment on that.  The correct
unit on the torque is 14 ft-lbs or 18 NM per the instructions I received.
My torque wrench is calibrated in inch pounds and NM.  14 ft pounds is 168
inch-pounds.  Any of the three will work.

The website doesn't really talk about bearing adjustment.  It really just
adresses cleaning out of the bearings.

This weekend I checked the bearing adjustment and followed the AB Marine
procedure where you back off the retaining cap by 1/4 turn.  I also have the
procedure recommended by Steve, but decided to go with the procedure
provided by the designers and manufacturers over the distributor.  I have no
reason to believe that Steve's procedure wouldn't be perfectly fine and it
is easier to follow.

When the bearings are adjusted using the procedure provided by the designers
of the autoprop, the blades spin smoothly and there is just a small amount
of play in the bearings.

Larry