[C320-list] Anchor & chain size?

Stanley Rogacevicz SROGACEV at holycross.edu
Tue Sep 12 07:16:42 PDT 2006

Russ,
   I assume you attempted an attachment - nope - but that's ok because
in general I agree that the Spade design is good. Actually since I have
a dual roller and dual locker I may replace the CQR all chain (it needs
all the help it can get) with a Spade type since I have no need to Plow
any furrows in the seabed with a CQR Plow I may sell it for an upgrade
to a Spade as my secondary anchor. I may also upgrade to a Bruce 44
which will still be my primary which has always done fine with rope.
Shame on you.... giving me good excuses to spend a few hundred more
$$$$$$$$$$$.
Stan

>>> "russgm at yahoo.com" <russgm at yahoo.com> 9/12/2006 9:47 AM >>>
Stan-
Here is the PS article, there was also a follow up in April on
anchors...I don't think any reasonably intelligent person could confuse
those Rocna videos with a valid anchoring test either!  BUt nonetheless
I have read failry positive things, on my new C387 I went with 150' of
chain and a 45#  Spade you cannot make a mistake with a Spade, it was
the first of the "New generation" and is tried and true.  It sets easy,
it holds very well, and resets well if required.  As you can see I am
also a fan of chain, whatever you got, chain makes it better.
-russ

Stanley Rogacevicz <SROGACEV at holycross.edu> wrote: Russ,
   I haven't seen any PS articles in quite a while since the ones that
gave the Bruce fairly high marks on setting but I don't recall their
ranking on Holding. As for Holding the 6 years with a Bruce 33 on the
c320 is a bit oversized and I gave it a quite a few wind shift tests
but
never really gave it much of a high (over 15kt) test. But - my NC 331
came with a Bruce 33 knockoff which I think is a bit undersized for
the
high windage 18,000 lbs of a pilothouse (44 would be better). On my
delivery from Annapolis to NGBay I gave it a couple pretty good tests
at
15-20kts  with a good fetch creating waves that kept me up most of the
night and another 10-15kts night with no wave fetch but a 180 degree
wind shift through the night. No Problems. Although 7 cruising years
in
the NE is only 1/2 the anchoring time in the south I'm still  at %100
satisfaction so what else can I say - except I still think the Rocna
video is tainted somehow because it's easy enough to do.
Stan

>>> "russgm at yahoo.com"  9/12/2006 9:14 AM >>>
Stan-
WHen I ought my new boat I did a TON of anchor research, I concluded
that although the Bruce sets very well, it does not hold particularly
well.  Have you seen the Practical Sailor articles?  As my other post
on
the this subject indicates I went with a Spade, but have sights on a
Manson Supreme.
-russ

Stanley Rogacevicz  wrote:    The Rocna may
very well be a good anchor but I think their streaming
video is BS. I think the only way you could make a Bruce not set like
that is if the 'beach' they used was a concrete slab with a little
sand
dumped on the sections used for the 'other' anchors. For the past 7
years a Bruce 33 has set instantly in all bottoms, in 7-40' of water,
and held/reset in 180 and even 360 degree wind shifts for me. I like a
rope rode but if the wind is high or I have  to under scope in a
crowded
anchorage I use 1 or more 15 lb. mushrooms as a sentinel that I slide
down the rode on a separate line.
Stan
formerly "Christy Leigh"
c320 #656