[C320-list] Anchor & chain size?

russgm at yahoo.com russgm at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 12 10:35:36 PDT 2006

Adam is correct except I doubt the opinion of the local Catalina guy, he may offer you one that alot of people buy, or perhaps if you were like me ordering an expensive boat offer you one that will help control costs, in my specific example not one person who worked at the delaer had ever heard of a Spade anchor, much less could provide any assitance in choosing one, they just said, "Delta" is what we supply, if you want something else, buy it and we will give you credit for the value of the Delta.
  -russ

esquirecatering at rcn.com wrote:
  A word of caution which has been referred to but not addressed head on: the type of anchor, the amount of chain, and the amount of line depends greatly on the area(s) in which you intend to anchor. What works best in San Francisco Bay mud may not be good in sand nor gravel. Some anchors set great but tend to break out and not reset with tidal swings which you may or may have in your area.

West Marine in previous catalogs (I have not checked this year) had a good discussion on this topic. Perhaps the best source to check with is your local Catalina dealer who knows the boat (the windage on a C320 is different than a Nordic Tug), knows the area, and with whom you can discuss your anchoring needs.

Adam