[C320-list] GPS Antenna Installation

Jeffrey Hare catalina at thehares.com
Sun Sep 24 07:36:03 PDT 2006

Quentin,

As Chris pointed out, you need to drill metal on low speed and don't let it
get too hot.  Let the drill bit do the work and don't push too hard.
Occasionally spray the bit with oil.

I think it took me about 20 minutes to get this hole drilled. I mounted mine
as you are attempting and drilled 3/32" pilot hole, then widened it to about
1/4" or 3/8"  (don't recall exactly, but it was enough for both speaker wire
and gps in my case)

Save yourself a lot of aggrevation and use a high quality bit for cutting
through hard steel.  Titanium doesn't necessarily mean good.  You'll find a
huge difference between low and high end bits.  I used DeWalt bits for this
job which are a medium quality bit.  Avoid the cheap Home Depot / Lowes bits
like Vermont American, etc. unless you like buying/breaking a lot of them.
They look good but are mostly junk in this application.

Important note:  If you centered your new drill hole between the two
stancion bolts from below, make sure you angle the hole AFT.  The bolts
holding the stancions don't go straight down so .  If you drill straight up
centered between them, you won't come up inside the stancion pipe!

Regarding the Speaker wire on starboard and port sides,  this was one of the
most miserable tasks I've done yet on the boat.  You'll find that the
horizontal tubes are welded into a solid vertical tube.  No hole exists for
feeding the speaker wire from the vertical tube over into the horizontal
tube.  I did manage to do it though.

After removing the plastic stern rail seats, I drilled the speaker wire exit
hole in the horizontal seat support tube at a point on the curve where I
could insert a long drill bit in the hole in to drill a hole the vertical
tube.

I could fill you in on more details if you want.

-Jeff Hare