[C320-list] Helm Seat

Chris Burti cburti at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 25 11:44:32 PDT 2006

FWIW, I made a somewhat similar seat. It uses a
socket, a post and a spyder with an upholstered
folding marine seat. I did not want to cut my factory
seat for the socket, so I fabricated one out of
starboard and plywood to fit the opening and use the
existing hold down straps on the boat. Cost of parts
and materials, approx. $100 using eBay extensively.

It worked very well, but not well enough for us to
justify the storage space occupied when not in use. We
just don't motor very much. So, it sits in my garage
alongside the factory insert which we also don't store
aboard for pretty much the same reason.

I'll probably put it up for sale someday when I get
ambitious enough to take some pictures.

cb

--- Joseph A Tamucci <jtamucci at adelphia.net> wrote:

> We bought one three years ago and my wife and I love
> it.  It's especially
> nice when you can sit down and see over the cockpit
> when motoring.just like
> a power boater.  We sail in Buzzards bay, Cape Cod,
> MA in the "washing
> machine" with 3' - 6'+  short duration chop and 20+
> knot winds and even
> healed at 20+ degrees I find the seat better than
> standing on the stern.  In
> those conditions you can sit side sadle and still be
> comfortable and much
> less fatigued after a 4 hr sail.
>
> One word of caution; my wife and I are small people
> (I'm 5' 7") so it works
> for us, but I would not recommend it for anyone 6'
> or over.  There is only
> about a foot and a half or so distance between the
> wheel and the seat so if
> you have long legs you'll be sitting like a frog.
> It attaches and can be
> removed from the stern rail very easily so you can
> easily remove it when not
> in use and clip it to the lifelines.  This is
> especially nice at anchor .
> Even when installed you can still deploy the stern
> ladder although you have
> to climb over it.
>
> Hope this helps in your decision.
>
> Joe Andante #619