[C320-list] Raw Water Strainer

mike hunter popotladreaming at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 9 17:35:04 PDT 2007

Hello,

  I’m going to be cleaning my raw water strainer for the first time this weekend and I could use some advice.  The intake hose passes through the strainer and then loops upwards to the top of the Yanmar and then back down to the raw water pump.  I understand the steps to close the seacock, drop the strainer bowl down, clean it out, pre-fill with clean water, screw it back on, open the seacock and check for leaks.  My concern is when I drop the strainer bowl down, the water filling the intake hose (which slopes up) will run backwards out of the strainer lid and create an air pocket.  I’ve read it only takes a few seconds without water to damage an impeller; do I need to be concerned about this air pocket in the hose?  Is there an easy way to bleed the hose?  I thought about disconnecting the hose from the front of the water pump, have someone open the seacock and then connect it again when the air is purged.  There must be an easier (dryer) way to do this as it seems like
 something that might need to be performed often.

  Thanks!

  Mike