[C320-list] Elk Rapids (MI) Water Level

Myron Welch myron-welch at uiowa.edu
Mon Apr 2 17:34:44 PDT 2007

Hi Joan,

We too have the wing keel and have never had difficulty getting into
Elk Rapids or around in the marina due to the low water in Lake
Michigan.  The channel is clearly marked and just stay in the middle
until you are well past the outer mark.  They do a good job of
dredging the entrance when needed.  We have found the Edward C. Grace
Marina extremely well run with a great harbor master and staff.
Enjoy the wonderful little town.

We also have not had difficulty with the water level in the other
Grand Traverse Bay marinas.  Suttons Bay can get a little thin in
places, but the marina staff does a good job of directing you to
slips that have sufficient water depth.  There is also a good
anchorage if the weather is right.

Let me know if I can help with any other questions about the area.

Myron Welch
Wind Instrument #238
Iowa City, Iowa