[C320-list] 35lb CQR with 60 meters (195 feet) of 3/8th chain

Robert Perrin secretary at anzaas.org.au
Tue Apr 3 17:09:42 PDT 2007

Hi Bruce,

I think that my original message was possibly
a little unclear.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I have
added a chain gypsy conversion kit to the
OEM Maxwell winch, so we have excellent
flexibility when we anchor.

We use the 17kg Marsh on 30m 8mm chain
when we first set the hook, reducing the amount
of chain out according to depth and conditions.
We keep another 20m chain on in reserve, which
in turn is connected to 50m rope, so our possible
anchor warp length is 30+20+50 = 100m.

We normally try to anchor in no more than 7m,
4m - 5m being preferred.

When the hook first sets, I  rev the motor to 1500
rpm in reverse to test the set.

Our ground here is very variable and can be sand
or mud [both conditions with or without weed and
rocks].
For example, this coming long week-end we are
planning to head first to an area known as the
Cutter Patch which is sand with weed patches and
some rocks.
We shall drop the hook into a clear sand patch
in 3 to 4m where we shall probably end up with about
20m chain out.
The following day we are heading to an area which
is around 10 - 20 cm sandy mud over cracked rock
strewn limestone pavement which will probably
require at least 10m more chain in 2 - 4m of water.

My experience with the 35lb Manson which was
on the boat when we bought her was that it was
fine with 30m chain in either clear sand or mud,
but once a little weed or rock was encountered
if it broke out it was very unlikely to quickly reset,
and required prompt intervention.
--
regards,

Robert