[C320-list] Don't forget gasketing when insulating the engine cover

Gary Doodlesack C320No410 at aol.com
Mon Apr 9 15:21:40 PDT 2007

If you use the best insulating product (.25" lead faced with 2" foam) then
you will get a 50% noise reduction.  Anything else will be slightly less
effective (i.e. .25" vinyl with 2" foam, etc.).

You can expect an almost equal amount of noise reduction when you take time
to apply proper gasketing around all the edges of the engine housing
clam-shell (front and rear).   You can purchase half-round neoprene or even
neoprene gasketing in full round with a flat self-adhesive edge.  Both types
are made to be compressed against a hard surface for effectiveness.  On the
bottom of the front cover you can set-up large neoprene "barricades along
the bottom edge where there is no pre-existing surface to compress against.
Best would be to lay down some 1" wood stock to provide a backing for the
gaskets.  When done the engine housings should fit very very tightly and you
will notice an immediate difference.  You may even get to 90% noise
reduction.

I insulated my engine box with the "good stuff" and ran with it for a year.
Thought the difference in noise levels was amazing.  Next year I installed
the gasketing.   Thought I noticed an equal amount of noise reduction due to
the gaskets.  Amazing change again.   Whisper quiet at 2000 rpm is
achievable.

Good luck!   It's a fun project and you really cant mess it up since
anything you do in this area will result in a noticeable improvement.

Best regards,

Gary Doodlesack
C320 No 410
Lady Diane