[C320-list] Stanchion Issue-Ideas?

Jeff Church jjemail at comcast.net
Wed Apr 11 11:15:33 PDT 2007

Jon,

A mid-ship stanchion on Idlewild (maybe two) broke over the winter. The boat is shrink wrapped every winter and the repeated strain from the snow load on the wrap must have been too much. I think the large center threaded stud broke away from the base. I had the companionway stairs re-welded last season at a cost of $40 dollars, so I'd guess that welding a stanchion would cost at least $50 dollars plus the hassle of making sure that everything will line up and look good. I'm tempted to take the easy route, $80 dollars for each new stanchion (Catalina Direct), and get this repair off of my to-do list before launching next month. I'd be interested to know what you find out about the cost.

JeffC