[C320-list] Dinghys anyone?

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 16 11:11:48 PDT 2007

Jeff,

At the Annapolis Boat Show in 2005, we bought a new Model 245 dinghy from Aqua Dutch: http://www.aquadutch.com/English.shtml  They don't sell through retail outlets; but are at the major boat shown and sell online.  Made in the Netherlands, their US office is in Delaware and the warranty/repair facility is in Florida.

At the boat show, we went to all the other vendors and examined their small dinghys.  From what I could see, the Aqua Dutch was better made with more features than any of the others.  My impression was that the major vendors/manufacturers are concentrating on the higher-end RIBs and inflatables; and, that their small boat designs and features haven't changed much.  The Achilles two seater inflatable hasn't much changed in 25 years.

The Aqua Dutch boats come std. with 4 inside "D" rings for lifting, dual bow "D" rings for towing, air deck, inflatible keel, hard composite transom with thru-bolted security rings, self-bailer, 17" tubes, overpressure relief valve, fuel tank tiedowns, 5-year warranty, etc.

We've used the boat for one season now and have been very happy with it.  It offers a firm, dry ride in all but rough conditions. The bow is canted up and rides well over the waves.  The deck is quite hard as it takes a 7.2lb inflation.  Also, rides well in tow.

We did follow the mfgr requirement to apply an Island Girl treatment to the skin as part of the material warranty.  It stayed quite clean and except for some barnacle seeds, the slime and muck washes right off.  The barnacles came off easily with a little scrubbing.  It's a good, well made boat.

In addition to the Boat Show price, they included a two-stage 12v air pump that makes inflation and deflation a breeze.  I highly recommend a 12v pump for any inflatable.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay